Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cornbread! An ode to the Amaizingness




I worked up what i think is a great cornbread recipe this week once I'd gotten home from emerald isle! I had a hankering to make some similar to a killer skillet I brought to a birthday bash this spring but for which I didn't do diligence in noting any measurements. It is really good and moist and I've already shared it with my blogger friend, Natalie, who loooves her some good cornbread!
My dad has been making the Moosewood cornbread recipe my whole life. We bring it to potluck and have it at home to accompany suppers including veggie chili or lentil soup. What made cornbread special for me, besides that it is always so good!, was that dad always carves a big 'S' for Sparrow on top. I forgot to do so this time!

Katys Cornbread w/ Millet
Dry
1.5 C cornmeal
0.5 C sprouted wheat (or any other) flour
0.25 C wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.25 heaping tsp salt
1.75 C cooked millet
Wet
1.5 C milk of any kind/combination
1.5 T apple cider vinegar
0.25 C honey
1 egg
Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry, adding in millet last until it
is uniformly mixed in. Let your vinegar curdle the milk for about 10
mins, then add honey and egg and whisk away until it's nicely beaten.
Add wet to dry and stir until just combined. Pour into a greased 9x9
or similar pan and bake 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean!
So what to do with lots of delicious cornbread that you can't eat all up? Give it to ur favorite baristas! That what I did. And in addition to ur butter of choice, try toppin it with molasses, local FRESH honey if you can score some, jam, or even miso-tahini!
Next up on the cornbread front for me is brown rice cornbread and a blue cornbread! Saw blue cornmeal next to da yellow today at whole foods!
Long live cornbread! Food of the settlers, it will always have a special place in my heart, marked with a capital 'S'.

No comments:

Post a Comment