Thursday, August 25, 2011

And the fieldwork continues!

So we left Toolik Lake

John and the CRDS out on the Toolik Lake dock

Preparing to run a suite of standards next to the Hobie Cat I'd like to be sailing
 On Sunday morning we woke at 4 a.m. and 3 plane touchdowns (in Barrow, Anchorage, and Homer), 2 car taxi rides, and a water taxi later--we were at Kasitsna Bay, w/ personal baggage and groceries in hand!  The rest of our gear and 6 person team have made it over in subsequent water taxis.

Homer is sweet!  And insanely gorgeous..you're surrounded by snowtopped mountains and a glassy sea in all directions..and tons and tons of evergreen trees.  There's an easygoing, kinda rustic,fishing town vibe to the place and I  just loved it..Our taxi driver was a really helpful guy and he drove us from the airport through town to the grocery store, picked us up again and drove us down the Spit to our water taxi.  We wanted to get a bite in town and our taxi guy pointed us towards an excellent establishment.  After dinner and a walk, we taxied over to our lab.  We saw a pair of porpoises!  And our first bald eagle--we've seen dozens now (by day 3).  Adina, Slawek, Natasha, Alanna, John, and I are all loving our new locaysh and the wildlife!

From the Naturalist journal:  John and I sighted a black bear on our walk Monday night, about 50 yds away..he was eating berries and bounded away!  We're being very careful since the black bears are really active/all around the area at the moment.  I looooove sea otters!!!  I've seen many of them--lolling and rolling around on their backs, with salmon in their mouth, breaking a shellfish open, sliding down rocks, sleeping.  Besides the bald eagles (dignified, glorious birds that they are!), I've seen a Stellars Jay, a Common Loon,  and on the boat I've seen many more birds I have yet to pin an ID on (I chose to blog tonight and am sacrifcing a bit of sleep for it!)..Anyhow I hafta share these great photos I have!
John and I headed over to Finn's Pizza for dinner

Wood-fired oven right next to the door by the cash register where you can see it!

Salud!  to Homer IPA on tap!  Deelish.

Best margherita pizza I ever ate.  Perfectly olive oily and flaky crust to boot.
YES those are mtns..this is the beach on the Homer Spit. So cool
New Field Home! Kasitsna Bay Lab. Our dorm is to the left, through the trees :)

No comments:

Post a Comment